Published in April 2019 for the 2019-20 program year.
This self-study guide begins with a discussion of terminology and concepts important to understanding the awarding process for both grant programs. Building on this foundation, the next two lessons show how to select the correct formula to calculate awards and illustrate the calculation process. The guide concludes with a discussion of additional considerations, including the treatment of summer terms, awarding transfer students, and recalculations.
Available as a PDF only.
Lesson 1: Introduction to Federal Pell Grant and IASG Programs
- Have a basic understanding of the Federal Pell Grant and IASG programs; and
- Be able to define key terms and concepts impacting Federal Pell Grant and IASG eligibility.
Lesson 2: Selecting the Appropriate Formula: Term-Based Programs
- Understand how to select the appropriate formula for term-based programs; and
- Know how to calculate a Federal Pell Grant or Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant award for a term-based program.
Lesson 3: Selecting the Appropriate Formula: Nonterm Programs
- Learn how to select the appropriate formula for nonterm programs; and
- Understand how to calculate Federal Pell Grant and IASG using the appropriate formula.
Lesson 4: Additional Considerations
- Learn what other factors can affect Federal Pell Grant and IASG calculations; and
- Understand how other factors can affect Federal Pell Grant and IASG processing.