Updates on Reporting to NSLDS
By Tiffany Gibbs, Training & Regulatory Assistance Staff
In the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) Update session held at the 2015 NASFAA National Conference in New Orleans, U.S. Department of Education (ED) representative Eric Hardy provided information on enrollment reporting, gainful employment (GE) and future enhancements to the NSLDS system.
Enrollment Reporting Rosters
- It is recommended that schools add students with Title IV aid from another school who will not be receiving aid at your school.
- ED notes that while there is no regulatory requirement that schools do so, it may be in an institution’s best interest.
- Schools may also request reporting rosters outside of the normal schedule using the “Ad Hoc Roster Request” under the “Enroll” tab on the NSLDS site.
- Receipt of old certification dates under Campus-Level Records
- NSLDS does not accept certification more than 72 days in the past
- Incorrect reporting of published program length
- Differences between reported length in Common Origination and Disbursement (COD) system and NSLDS result in a new, unique program
- Schools should compare data reported to COD and NSLDS and correct data if improperly reported
- Reporting of the “Program Begin Date”
- NSLDS uses the “Payment Period Begin Date” from COD as the “Program Begin Date” for all program-level enrollment data reported by COD
- Schools should review and correct if necessary
- Letters to schools regarding compliance with proper enrollment reporting will begin in January 2016
Gainful Employment Reporting
- July 31, 2015 – reporting for award years 2008-2009 to 2013-2014
- October 1, 2015 – reporting due to 2014-2015
Gainful Employment Program Tracking
- Data from schools, COD, and other ED sources are compiled on the GE Program Tracking List
- Displays list of GE programs from the various sources for your school
- Schools can update and is available in August 2015
- Emails will be sent to school presidents and financial aid administrators notifying them of unreported GE programs the first week of August 2015
Gainful Employment Calculations
- First calculation of debt-to-earnings ratio is scheduled for summer 2016
- For the 2014-2015 calculation year there will be two- and four-year cohorts
- Enrollment reports to remove old program data
- Enrollment Submittal File Tracking report
For highlights and summaries of events and other sessions that were held at the 2015 National Conference in New Orleans, see our summaries page.
Publication Date: 8/11/2015