NASFAA members are always moving ahead, whether enhancing their skills in their current roles, accepting promotions or job changes, or discovering new pathways as retirees. Below are a few colleagues who were honored with awards or recognitions, or made changes in their professional lives, in 2020-21.
Awards, Recognitions, & Other
- June 24, 2021 - Congratulations to the Winners of NASFAA's 2021 Awards
- December 14, 2020 - Dr. Keyimani Alford, dean of student access and success at Madison Area Technical College, and Wisconsin Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (WASFAA) president, was named one of "Wisconsin's 51 Most Influential Black Leaders."
- July 23, 2020 - Citizens Bank would like to congratulate Donna Shelby, vice president and relationship manager, on 25 years in student lending.
- July 16, 2020 - Josephine Cassar, director of financial assistance and services at St. Clair County Community College, received the "Henry Dykema Distinguished Service Award." This annual award, MSFAA's highest award bestowed on an individual, is given as recognition to individuals who have provided significant and outstanding service, over an extended period of time (at least five years), to the profession and the association.
Job Changes & Promotions
- June 28, 2021 - Tiffany Floyd, formerly the financial aid counselor, was promoted to senior financial aid counselor at Rush University Medical Center.
- June 14, 2021 - Nathan Lohr, formerly the associate director
of financial aid and scholarship services at Indiana University–Purdue
University Indianapolis (IUPUI), is now the director of financial aid at University
- June 1, 2021 - Yvonne Campbell, formerly the associate director at DePaul University, is now the associate director at University of Texas at Arlington.
- June 1, 2021 - Joshua North, FAAC®, formerly the director of financial aid at Highland Community College, is now the director of financial aid at Bridgewater College.
- June 1, 2021 - Megan Ryan, formerly the executive director of admissions and financial aid at Allegheny College, is now the vice president for enrollment management at Muhlenberg College.
- May 3, 2021 - Virginia Weiner, formerly the assistant director of client communications, was promoted to director of financial aid services and counseling at New York University.
- May 1, 2021 - Mechelle Thompson, formerly the associate director, was promoted to director of financial aid at Heritage Christian University.
- April 1, 2021 - Anna Kopit was promoted to corporate financial aid director at Center Education Group.
- March 24, 2021 - After retiring from the U.S. Department of Education with 26 years in Title IV programs, and teaching in public and private schools, Arthur Iwanicki returned to financial aid as the federal compliance officer at Morgan State University.
- March 1, 2021 - Courtney Rust, FAAC®, was promoted from senior financial aid counselor to assistant director of financial aid at State University of New York, Canton.
- March 1, 2021 - Mark San Marino was promoted to director of public policy and government relations at DeVry University.
- March 1, 2021 - Catherine Sanchez, formerly the assistant director of financial aid at University of North Texas Health Science Center, is now the director of financial aid at University of Tennessee Health Science Center.
- February 22, 2021 - Brian Dixon, formerly the assistant vice president of student financial services at Washington State University, is now the associate vice provost of student aid and affordability at University of Texas at Austin. He notes this newly created position will be contributing to the university's long-standing commitments to equitable access, reducing financial barriers, and improving graduation outcomes.
- January 25, 2021- Brian Berry, formerly the director of financial aid Rutgers University - New Brunswick, is now the senior director of financial aid and scholarships at New York University (NYU).
- January 18, 2021 - Kathy Levine, formerly the director of student financial planning at The Culinary Institute of America, is now the director of financial aid at Northern New Mexico College.
- January 16, 2021 - Samantha Hicks, formerly the associate director of client services and scholarships, has been promoted to director of financial aid and scholarships at Coastal Carolina University. She also recently earned her doctorate in higher education leadership with a dissertation focused on the financial stress of undergraduate students.
- January 13, 2021 - Mark Bandre, formerly the registrar and director of financial aid, was promoted to dean of academic innovation and college registrar at Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kansas.
- January 7, 2021 - Adam Colvin, formerly the financial aid funds manager at Greenville University, is now the director of financial aid at Ponce Health Sciences University.
- January 4, 2021 - Brian De Young, formerly the director of financial aid at Guilford College, is now the director of financial aid at Davidson-Davie Community College.
- January 4, 2021 - Timothy Sampson, formerly the Office of Financial Aid student services specialist at University of North Carolina at Pembroke, is now the senior financial aid technician at Fayetteville Technical Community College.
- January 4, 2021 - Kimberly Tibbetts, formerly the associate director of financial aid at Wentworth Institute of Technology, is now the director of financial aid at Middlesex Community College.
- January 1, 2021 - Shannan White, formerly the associate director of financial aid, was promoted to director of financial aid at University of South Alabama.
- January 1, 2021 - James Kellam, formerly the director of financial planning, was promoted to associate vice president for student financial services at Converse College.
- December 7, 2020 - Valerie Clem-Brown, formerly the associate director for compliance and reporting at Virginia Commonwealth University, is now the director of financial aid at William Peace University. She also earned her Ph.D. from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln in Educational Leadership and Higher Education on November 20.
- December 1, 2020 - Katraya Williams, formerly the director of financial aid & scholarships at Southern University at Shreveport, is now the director of student financial aid at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport.
- November 30, 2020 - Kristi Jovell, FAAC®, formerly the assistant vice president of enrollment management at Champlain College, is now the director of student financial services operations and communications at Middlebury College.
- November 9, 2020 - Christina Twelves, formerly the director of financial aid at Touro University Nevada, is now the director of financial aid at Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (proposed).
- November 2, 2020 - Amanda Constable is now the director of financial assistance at Villanova University.
- November 2, 2020 - Nishia Ikezoe Heard, formerly the manager of student finance advising at Adtalem Global Education, is now the senior director of student financial assistance, veteran services and scholarships at College of DuPage.
- October 30, 2020 - Lindsay Bridgeman, FAAC®, formerly the vice president of student financial services and university compliance, was promoted to interim president at Grantham University
- October 26, 2020 - Keia Brown, formerly the associate director of scholarships at University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC), is now the director of financial aid at Marymount University. Keia is also the 2020-21 chair of the Delaware, D.C., Maryland Association of Financial Aid Administrators Association (Tri-State ASFAA).
- October 26, 2020 - Gregory Thornburg, formerly the student affairs administrator at University of Arkansas Community College Batesville (Arkansas) is now the senior assistant director of financial aid and scholarships at Ball State University.
- October 16, 2020 - Alisha Cederberg, FAAC®, was promoted from director of financial aid to associate dean of student experience at Kalamazoo Valley Community College.
- October 1, 2020 - Jennifer Christian Wright, previously the associate dean of financial aid, was promoted to associate director of financial aid systems at Amherst College.
- August 24, 2020 - Pamela Palermo, formerly the director of student financial services at Marshall University, is now the director of financial aid at Hawaii Pacific University.
- August 3, 2020 - Marvin Smith, FAAC®, formerly executive director, student financial services at Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis, will be the executive director for the University of California, Los Angeles Financial Aid and Scholarships
- July 27, 2020 - Jesse McMillan, formerly the assistant director of financial aid at Capital University, will be the associate director of the student financial management center at Virginia Commonwealth University.
- July 21, 2020 - Helen Faith, FAAC®, formerly the dean of new student transitions at Lane Community College, is now the director of the Office of Student Financial Aid at University of Wisconsin–Madison. Helen has served on NASFAA's Board of Directors and was the president of WASFAA.
- July 20, 2020 - Erika Kampschnieder, formerly the financial aid specialist at Mid-Plains Community College, is now the associate director of financial aid systems and processing at Metropolitan Community College.
- July 13, 2020 - Patrick Ziegler, formerly from Wells Fargo, is now the regional sales director at Ascendium. Patrick brings diverse experience in both academia and higher education finance to his role with Ascendium.
- July 1, 2020 - Lisa Blazer, previously the senior associate vice provost at the University of Texas - San Antonio, is now the associate vice president for enrollment services at Texas A&M University. Lisa served as the 2016-17 NASFAA National Chair.
- June 30, 2021 - James Kubacak, director of financial aid at McLennan Community College, retired after 42 years of working in financial aid.
- June 30, 2021 - Linda Handy, associate vice president for financial aid at the University of Indianapolis, will retire at the end of June after 43 years of working in financial aid. Linda was also the past president of the Indiana Student Financial Aid Association and recipient of their Distinguished Service Award.
- June 30, 2021 - Georgeann Lucewich, financial aid specialist at Scott Community College, will retire at the end of June after 26 years of working in financial aid, including four years as a work-study student in the financial aid office.
- June 30, 2021 - Inez Moreno-Weinert, student services director of financial aid at South Mountain Community College (SMCC), will retire at the end of June after 24 years of working in financial aid. Dr. Moreno-Weinert has worked in higher education for 35 years at Arizona State University and SMCC. In addition, she has also worked at Southwest Student Services, the LULAC Education Service Center, Catholic Social Services of Arizona, and as a contract therapist with Arizona Superior Court system throughout her professional career. She notes that one of her solid achievements at SMCC was developing a Default Management Plan, alongside both USAFunds and subsequently EdAmerica, which helped reduce her college's cohort default rate by 17 percentage points. Dr. Moreno-Weinert indicates she will miss most the great camaraderie of her SMCC team and the other nine Mariopa community college financial aid directors, for whom she has great respect.
- June 30, 2021 - Scott Morrison, director of financial aid at Bridgewater College, will retire at the end of June after 32 years of working in financial aid. Scott also previously worked at DeVry University and Virginia Commonwealth University.
- June 30, 2021 - Beverly Walters, financial aid associate at Henry Ford College, will retire at the end of June after 32 years of working in financial aid. She notes she has "enjoyed working in financial aid helping the thousands of students over the years. This career chose me, and it has been a wonderful thing. I will miss my students and coworkers."
- June 11, 2021 - Nydia Nittmann, associate vice president of enrollment management at Northern Arizona University, retired in June after 30 amazing years in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. She previously served as a financial aid advisor, business analyst, director, and executive director. Her staff notes that she will be missed by many around campus for her wealth of knowledge, campus history, leadership, and friendship.
- May 14, 2021 - Cynthia Pollard, executive director of student financial services and financial aid at Warner Pacific University, retired in May after 20 years of working in financial aid.
- May 14, 2021 - Pamela Meek, director of financial aid at Ivy Tech Community College, retired in May after 34 years of working in financial aid.
- May 7, 2021 - Rich Esposito, assistant vice president of student financial services at Duquesne University, retired in May after 42 years of working in financial aid.
- April 30, 2021 - Darolyn Porter, compliance director at the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation, recently announced her retirement after serving the state of Tennessee for over 42 years. Her mentorship to her colleagues and dedication to students, schools, and families across the state will be missed by all.
- April 29, 2021 - Eileen Serwe, financial aid specialist at Moraine Park Technical College, retired in April after more than 40 years in financial aid.
- April 4, 2021 - Linda Mottishaw, director of education at Pocatello Beauty Academy, Inc. Elevate Salon Institute, retired after 31 years of working in financial aid.
- March 1, 2021 - Tracy Reisinger, director of financial Aid at Oregon College of Oriental Medicine, retired in the spring after 32 years of working in financial aid. Tracy previously worked at Marylhurst University and University of Portland, and notes "it's time to pass the baton and ride off into the sunset to have fun and travel. Financial aid is such a wonderful, caring, inclusive, welcoming, and helpful group of colleagues. While I won't miss the constantly changing regulations, I will miss the great people I've come to know over the years. Thanks to everybody who provided so much support to me and to our wonderful students."
- February 15, 2021 - Kerrie Cooper, director of financial aid at SUNY College of Technology at Canton, retired in February after 40 years of working in financial aid. She notes that it has been a great pleasure to work with several NASFAA presidents, especially with Justin Draeger over the past few years, and will miss everyone, but hopes to remain active as a retiree.
- January 15, 2021 - Paul Doane, formerly the associate director of financial aid compliance at Grand Rapids Community College, has retired after 38 years of working in financial aid. Throughout his career, Paul worked at three institutions in financial aid: Grand Valley State University, Cornerstone University, and most recently at Grand Rapids Community College. He has been very active in the Michigan Student Financial Aid Association (MSFAA). He is a past president, has served on many committees, and has been an active MSFAA board member. As president of MSFAA in 1999-2000, Paul introduced an Interdenominational Prayer Breakfast at MSFAA conferences and initiated the Silent Auction fundraisers — the proceeds from which have been distributed to over 15 community organizations throughout the state of Michigan in the last 20 years. Paul has presented frequently at MSFAA conferences and FA101 training events. He has mentored many young financial aid professionals and has helped them grow to take leadership roles in MSFAA and at various colleges and universities. In retirement, Paul plans to visit major league baseball parks with his son, enjoy camping trips with his wife and grandchildren, and participate in volunteer opportunities.
- December 23, 2020 - Sharon Kienow, FAAC®, director of financial aid at Northern State University, retired at the end of December.
- December 18, 2020 - Jayne Dinse, director of admissions and financial aid at South Central College, announced her retirement after 32 years in the profession and 38 years in higher education. She began her career at the University of Minnesota and has spent the last 27 years at her present college. Jayne served, in 2002-2003, as the state president of the Minnesota Association of Financial Aid Administrators(MAFAA) and was involved in various roles within her regional association, MASFAA.
- December 17, 2020 - Connie Roubique, financial director at ITI Technical College, retired from the financial aid world after 40 years of dedicated service — 30 of which were spent at ITI. She served as a member of the Louisiana Financial Assistance Commission and the Louisiana Association of State Financial Aid Association, and has been recognized for multiple services as a member of the LSFAC Advisory Committee. Her staff wishes her all the best in her retirement and notes they will continue to strive to maintain the precedent she has set for them as her legacy.
- October 2, 2020 - G. Michael Johnson, FAAC®, director of financial aid at Columbia Gorge Community College, retired after 33 years in financial aid. He notes that after starting as a part-time need analysis technician when he was in graduate school, his career included working at four-year private, four-year public, and two-year public schools in Oregon and Washington. He also spent a little time working for a student loan guarantee agency. He's been active in state, regional, and national association leadership and training, making a lot of lifelong friends along the way — an "immensely rewarding experience" for which he says he is grateful.
- July 10, 2020 - David Gelinas, director of financial aid at Davidson College, retired after 40 years in financial aid.
- July 1, 2020 - Ron Day, director of student financial aid at Kennesaw State University retired after 30 years in financial aid. Ron served as the 2012-13 NASFAA National Chair and was a NASFAA 2020 Lifetime Achievement Award winner.
- July 1, 2020 - Dennis P. Levy, Ph.D., executive director of financial aid services at Moravian College, retired after 32 years in financial aid, over 45 years total in higher education and public service. He looks forward to shared new adventures with Nancy, his beautiful wife of 46 years, and endless celebrations with grandchildren, family, friends, and good wine.
2019-20 Movers & Shakers