Job Title: Interim Financial Aid Director
Department: Business Services
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Description of Duties
The National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) and Blue Icon Advisors seek a highly qualified financial aid professional to join its Blue Icon team as full-time staff to serve as an interim financial aid director at colleges and universities across the country. This is a great opportunity if you know the ins and outs of financial aid and want to continue to do work on campus, but are seeking a new career challenge.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits, for an experienced, hands-on financial aid leader who can quickly and expertly provide support and management to a diverse range of institutions, while fully engaged in daily operations. While many interim positions have been remote or hybrid during the pandemic, and we expect some flexibility to continue, the candidate must be available for regular travel (often weekly) for future, on-site work.
- Provide interim financial aid leadership, and provide hands-on direction, to institutions of higher education and their respective aid offices, acting quickly on identified observations to maintain a compliant financial aid environment with excellent customer service.
- Implement new initiatives, including reengineering and streamlining existing processes.
- Onboard and train existing and future financial aid staff to eventually take over strategic and operational leadership.
- Apply hands-on knowledge for regular processing and operational support.
- Represent the financial aid office with both internal and external constituents, including campus leadership.
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- Ten years of Title IV financial aid administration experience with five years at the director level. If no longer working in financial aid, must have worked directly for or with an institution in the last two years.
- Available to regularly travel (often weekly) to on-site locations, but also able to perform all duties from a remote setting. Preferred candidates will live within a 50-mile radius of a major airport.
- For remote work, a home office, away from distractions, with high-speed internet, is required. (Laptop, monitor, keyboard, docking station, webcam, and phone software will be provided.)
- Director-level financial aid experience at a private or public four-year institution.
- Proficient in financial aid management systems such as Ellucian Banner®/Colleague®, PowerFAIDS®, PeopleSoft®, or WorkDay®.
- Advanced user of federal financial aid systems such as Common Origination and Disbursements (COD), National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS), and Student Aid Internet Gateway (SAIG).
- Functional understanding of manual and automated financial aid processing.
- Effective communicator and trainer with peers, staff, and administrators.
- Highly adaptable to support diverse environments.
- Solid understanding of institutional fund management for leveraging aid.
- Ability to work in complex organizations, both independently and as a collaborative team member.
- Experience with federal reporting such as FISAP, IPEDS, and HEERF quarterly and annual reporting.
- Strong ability to update and/or develop written policies and procedures.
- Experience hiring and training new staff.
- Experience at multiple school sectors (e.g. public, private, four-year, two-year, career or technical school, etc.).
- Experience with Institutional Methodology (IM).
- Experience with annual audits and/or federal program reviews.
- Certified Financial Aid Administrator (FAAC®)
- NASFAA credential-holder
These are full-time, exempt positions, which have been funded for one year from the hiring date but are expected to be extended to meet ongoing demand.
$80,000 - $110,000, commensurate with experience. NASFAA offers excellent benefits, including employee paid health insurance and a contributory retirement savings plan. Remote applicants accepted. Relocation to Washington, D.C. is not expected. Interested applicants should apply online. Principals only. No phone calls.
NASFAA is a nonprofit membership association that represents more than 20,000 financial aid professionals at nearly 3,000 colleges, universities, and career schools across the country. NASFAA member institutions serve nine out of every ten undergraduates in the U.S. Based in Washington, D.C., NASFAA is the only national association with a primary focus on student aid legislation, regulatory analysis, and training for financial aid administrators. At NASFAA, we strive to attract and retain a diverse and talented workforce that will contribute to the association's goals, mission and vision. It is NASFAA's policy not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because they are an individual with a disability or has veteran status. NASFAA will provide reasonable accommodations to employees whose ability to perform their job is affected by pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions. NASFAA is an equal opportunity employer.