Pop Quiz - Can a Transferring Student Be Paid Federal Work-Study During the Summer at the Previous School?


If a student attends University A during the fall and spring terms, and then plans to attend University B during the upcoming fall term, can the student work at University A during the summer months (break of enrollment), if University A sends the student’s earnings to University B?


No. But the student could work at University B. 

A student may earn FWS funds during a period of nonattendance, such as summer, if the student is planning to attend the following period of enrollment (the fall). The student's net earnings (minus taxes and job-related costs) during a period of nonattendance should be used by the student to cover expenses for the next period of enrollment. The student must demonstrate financial need for the next period of enrollment. The full amount of any FWS funds earned during the period of nonattendance is considered to be estimated financial assistance (EFA) when packaging the student for the next period of enrollment.

Any FWS earnings which are paid to the student before July 1 will need to be paid out of the school's FWS allocation for the award year that ends before July 1. Any FWS earnings which are paid to the student on or after July 1 will need to be paid out of the school's FWS allocation for the upcoming award year.

For additional information, try NASFAA's Student Aid Index. It is a central hub of all the important financial aid resources you need with direct links to legislation, regulation, Dear Colleague Letters, and other ED and NASFAA references. It is updated on a rolling basis with the latest news and changes. Search Federal Work-Study Program.


Publication Date: 5/14/2019

Allie B | 5/17/2019 11:37:25 AM

Hi Carlos! This is a great question. We'd suggest submitting it through the AskRegs Knowledgebase so someone from our training and regulatory assistance team can get back to you. You can log in to AskRegs here: https://askregs.nasfaa.org/

Allie Bidwell, NASFAA Communications Staff

Carlos P | 5/14/2019 9:50:25 AM

Could University A sign up as a FWS employer for University B in this scenario, allowing University A to pay the student for the summer work at University A and to receive FWS reimbursement as an FWS employer?

You must be logged in to comment on this page.

Comments Disclaimer: NASFAA welcomes and encourages readers to comment and engage in respectful conversation about the content posted here. We value thoughtful, polite, and concise comments that reflect a variety of views. Comments are not moderated by NASFAA but are reviewed periodically by staff. Users should not expect real-time responses from NASFAA. To learn more, please view NASFAA’s complete Comments Policy.
View Desktop Version