NASFAA Mention: Nontraditional Students: How to Manage Student Loans

"Many resources geared toward college students focus on traditional students, who enroll after high school and live on campus. But they’re not the only attendees. For a large percentage of students enrolled at universities across the country, the college experience looks much different. In 2019-20, slightly more than a quarter of first-time college graduates were 25 or older at graduation, according to the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center. For these people, the student loan process looks a little different, too," Forbes reports.

..."How to Qualify for Grants

Nontraditional students interested in state or federal grants have to fill out the FAFSA to qualify.

State Grants

Some states offer special grants for independent or nontraditional students. For example, Indiana provides a grant for adult students who have some college credits but never finished a degree. These students can receive up to $2,000 annually.

The National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators offers a searchable list of state grants. Most state grants are only available if you’re attending school in-state, but some states may provide a grant even if you’re heading out of state.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students are not eligible for federal student loans, but they can qualify for state-based grants and university scholarships. This depends on the state and its particular rules."

NASFAA's "Notable Headlines" section highlights media coverage of financial aid to help members stay up to date with the latest news. Articles included under the notable headlines section are not written by NASFAA, but rather by external sources. Inclusion in Today's News does not imply endorsement of the material or guarantee the accuracy of information presented.


Publication Date: 5/10/2021

View Desktop Version