Presidential Campaign Representatives, Sen. Durbin to Discuss Student Aid
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Beth Maglione
VP of Communications
Education Secretary Arne Duncan & Undersecretary Martha Kanter also to Address Financial Aid Professionals
July 13, 2012 -- It's not too late to make plans to attend and report on the 2012 National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) conference, held July 22-25 at the Hyatt Regency Chicago.
Why cover NASFAA’s National Conference?
- Pressure to reduce the federal deficit continues to affect students and families. Get a handle on the latest changes to the student aid programs and the funding outlook for these key federal programs--including the Pell Grant--at a time when Congress is looking to cut spending.
- College affordability and student debt continue to be hot-button issues. Learn about the latest strategies to tackle these growing problems.
- As we enter the fall election season, reducing student debt will be a key issue for young voters.
- Financial aid professionals are in a unique position to observe, first-hand, the impact of student aid programs, policies and regulations. They know what works (and what doesn’t) for different student populations and why.
- We have amazing speakers--and you won’t miss one of the first times that the campaigns publicly discuss their higher education agendas.
Events to Cover:
- Sunday, July 22 at 12:45 pm. Key higher education policy advisors from the Barack Obama and Mitt Romney presidential campaigns will kick off the conference with a lively dialogue on student aid funding, ensuring access and success for all students, and ideas for policy reform.
- James Kvaal is the policy director at "Obama for America"
- Scott Fleming serves as education policy advisor for "Romney for President"
Attendees will also hear a personalized video welcome from Secretary of Education Arne Duncan at this general session.
- Just announced! Monday, July 23 at 8 am. NASFAA has just confirmed that U.S. Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL), who serves as the Majority Whip, will share his thoughts on the state of student aid, including current funding challenges and recent changes and proposals.
- Tuesday, July 24 at noon. Special guest and keynote speaker Martha Kanter, Under Secretary, U.S. Department of Education, will share her thoughts on the state of student aid, including current funding challenges and recent student aid proposals from the Obama Administration.
In addition to the keynotes, more than 100 sessions in 10 different subject-matter tracks will provide valuable information for any attendee. Tracks include (among others):
- Consumer Information & Customer Service
- Student Access & Success/Diversity Issues
- Financial Literacy and Student Loan Counseling
Please visit our Media Resource Center for more information. To receive a complimentary media registration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by July 18.
The National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA) is a nonprofit membership organization that represents nearly 20,000 financial aid professionals at 2,800 colleges, universities, and career schools across the country. Each year, financial aid professionals help more than 16 million students receive funding for post secondary education. Based in Washington, D.C., NASFAA is the only national association with a primary focus on student aid legislation, regulatory analysis, and training for financial aid administrators.
Publication Date: 7/13/2012