NASFAA developed this State Advocacy Toolkit to provide resources and materials to support state-level advocacy for regions, states, institutions, and individuals interested in becoming more engaged in state-level student aid policy. The State Advocacy Toolkit features detailed steps, materials, and tips to assist NASFAA members in developing and implementing an advocacy strategy and communicating with their state legislators.
The toolkit features the following resources:
- User Guide that includes advocacy tips, instructions on how to contact your state representatives, and more!
- Letter and email templates that can be customized with your information before sending to your state lawmakers.
- Talking points that outline and give examples of the importance of state financial aid programs.
- Student Advocacy Manual that provides resources for students to support their advocacy efforts.
- The State Legislation Activity Form is for you to share any proposed, pending or recently passed legislation that could impact the financial aid community in your state, or to simply update us on percolating issues.
In addition, the toolkit includes several existing NASFAA Resources that are helpful to advocacy efforts: