NASFAA members are always moving ahead, whether enhancing their skills in their current roles, accepting promotions or job changes, or discovering new pathways as retirees. Below are a few colleagues who made changes in their professional lives in 2019-20.
Have you changed jobs recently? Are you newly retired? Have you won an award, or started a new initiative on campus? Let NASFAA and your colleagues know about your career developments in 2019-20 by completing the "Movers and Shakers" form. We'll review your submission and then post your update below for all to see.
"Movers and Shakers" form
Awards, Recognitions, & Other
- October 16, 2019 - Joseph Sciame, vice president for community relations at St. John's University, was recognized for his work with the St. John’s University Queens Community Dialogue Group. Joseph served as the 1987-88 NASFAA National Chair, was the 1988 Allan W. Purdy Distinguished Service Award winner, and 2012 Lifetime Achievement Award winner.
July 11, 2019 - Terri LeGrand, associate director of systems and compliance at Wake Forest University, was appointed by Governor Roy Cooper to the Board of Directors of the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority. The State Education Assistance Authority provides a number of services to the state of North Carolina, including administering inter-institutional programs of student financial assistance created to help North Carolinians meet the cost of higher education, promoting access to financial aid opportunities through outreach activities with school counselors and financial aid administrators, and assisting state government officials, the University of North Carolina, the North Carolina Community College System, and North Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities in various matters pertaining to financial aid.
Job Changes & Promotions
- March 21, 2020 - NASFAA National Chair Paula Luff, formerly the interim vice president for enrollment management at DePaul University in Chicago, is now Ball State University's vice president of enrollment planning and management.
- February 11, 2020 - Tracy Morgan was promoted from assistant director to associate director at University of South Florida.
- February 10, 2020 - Victoria Hampton, formerly the associate vice president of enrollment and financial aid at the University of Hartford, is now the university director of financial aid at Quinnipiac University.
- February 3, 2020 - Ashley Kende was promoted from financial aid officer to director of financial aid at Eastern International College.
- January 27, 2020 - Nick Prewett, CFAA, formerly the director financial aid at University of Missouri, is now the director financial aid at Stony Brook University. Nick was previously the MASFAA president and a representative-at-large on NASFAA's Board of Directors.
- January 20, 2020 - Misty Sabouneh, formerly the account development director at CampusLogic, is now the assistant vice president for financial literacy and integrity at Southern New Hampshire University.
- January 13, 2020 - Abril Hunt, formerly the national training manager at ECMC, is now the director of financial aid at Pacific Northwest College of Art, a century old art school in Portland, Ore.
- January 8, 2020 - Rosemary Martinez-Kepford, previously from Fullerton College and ECMC, is now the senior account executive of campus partnerships at Earnest.
- January 6, 2020 - Keri Gilbert, formerly the senior assistant director at University of Missouri is now the senior associate director at Missouri College Access Network.
- January 6, 2020 - Amanda Randolph, formerly the coordinator for Title IV programs at the University of Missouri, is now the associate director for the office of enrollment compliance at Cornell University.
- January 2, 2020 - Ashlea Buntin, CFAA, was promoted from associate director to director of financial aid and scholarship services at William Jewell College.
- December 16, 2019 - Matthew Kirksey was promoted from assistant director to associate director of student financial aid and verification at The University of Akron.
- December 12, 2019 - Alexandra Tubbs was promoted from financial aid administrator to director of financial aid at The University of Arkansas System eVersity.
- December, 4, 2019 - Kevin McNamara, formerly from Ascent and MPOWER, is now the senior account executive of campus partnerships at Earnest.
- December 4, 2019 - Ben Loya, formerly the vice president at Citizens Bank Student Loans, is now the senior account executive of campus partnerships at Earnest Private Student Loans.
- October 28, 2019 - Ann Isackson was promoted from executive director of financial aid to associate dean of enrollment management and financial aid at Grand Rapids Community College.
- October 25, 2019 - Kathy Bialk, CFAA, formerly the assistant provost/director of student financial aid at the University of Iowa, is now the executive director of student financial aid & scholarships at the University of Kentucky.
- October 10, 2019 - Kacie Hall was promoted from financial aid counselor to senior financial aid counselor at Los Angeles Pacific University, and notes that this promotion was a nice surprise and she looks forward to continuing to climb the financial aid ladder and working hard to serve their students.
- September 27, 2019 - Adam Colvin, formerly the financial aid compliance specialist at Goldfarb School of Nursing at Barnes Jewish College, is now the associate director of student financial services at Lindenwood University.
- September 9, 2019 - Caleb Williams received a promotion from program coordinator senior document imaging and workflow management to assistant director of operations and compliance at Northern Arizona University.
- September 9, 2019 - Chuck Knepfle, formerly the associate vice president for enrollment management at Clemson University, is now the vice president for enrollment management at Portland State University.
- September 9, 2019 - Pamela Fowler, CFAA, formerly the executive director of financial aid at University of Michigan is now the executive director at Missouri College Access Network.
- September 5, 2019 - Amanda Esposito was promoted from administrative assistant to assistant director at George Washington University.
- September 1, 2019 - Karen Fobert was promoted from associate director to senior associate director of financial aid at Lewis & Clark College.
- August 10, 2019 - Catherine Jones was promoted from financial aid coordinator to director of financial aid at Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine.
- August 1, 2019 - Nishia Ikezoe Heard was promoted from process improvement coordinator to interim director of financial aid at Moraine Valley Community College.
- August 1, 2019 - Joseph Donlay was promoted from interim director to director of financial aid at Colorado State University.
- July 22, 2019 - Tarik Boyd, formerly the associate director of financial aid at Norfolk State University, is now the director of financial aid at Morehouse College.
- July 22, 2019 - Carrie Short, currently the associate director of verification and packaging at the University of Akron, is now the director of financial services at Lorain County Community College.
- July 16, 2019 - Matthew Dallaire, formerly the associate director of student accounts, credit, and collections at Southern New Hampshire University, is now the director of student financial services at Plymouth State University.
- July 22, 2019 - Michele Kosboth, formerly the director of student financial planning at Lasell College, is now the director of financial aid at Oberlin College.
- July 1, 2019 - Chantel McMahon, formerly the assistant director of financial aid operations at Western Washington University, is now the executive director of student financial resources at Bellingham Technical College. In 2017, Chantel one of only six recipients selected to receive a Dallas Martin 50th Anniversary NASFAA Scholarship, a one-time, need-based scholarship, funded by donations from NASFAA Past Presidents and National Chairs. She earned her master's of education in adult and higher education from Western Washington University.
- July 10, 2020 - David Gelinas, director of financial aid at Davidson College, will retire in July after 40 years in financial aid.
- March 31, 2020 - Terri Hare, director of financial aid at Western Illinois University, retired at the end of March.
- December 23, 2019 - After 30 years of working in financial aid, Cathy Michaels, associate director at New York Institute of Technology and formerly director of financial aid at CUNY-York College retired. She is looking forward to spending time with family, enjoying time in nature, and finding new hobbies.
- December 20, 2019 - Deb Henriksen, currently the director of student financial aid at Black Hills State University and formerly the director of student financial aid at Dakota Wesleyan University, Presentation College, retired in December after 36 years in financial aid. Deb notes that financial aid has been a wonderful experience helping students reach their goals in life and she will miss the students, families and peers that she worked with throughout the years.
- December 19, 2019 - Nancy Gray, executive director of financial aid at Aims Community College, officially retired July 1 but has been doing a transition semester since August 1 and her last day working in financial aid after 30 years was Dec. 19, 2019. She was involved in the Colorado Association of Financial Aid Administrators (CAFAA) and served as the four-year public school representative, secretary (more than once), and vice president. She is looking forward to some travel, reading, volunteer work, and working on special projects.
- December 1, 2019 - Gloria Holt, associate director of financial aid, audit and compliance at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) has retired after over 30 years in financial aid. After working in the proprietary, community college, and private sectors, she joined UMBC in 2003 as associate director of client services. In 2014, she implemented the department’s Audit and Compliance Unit to ensure compliance with all federal, state, and institutional regulations. As a result, the financial aid office experienced a dramatic decrease in findings during subsequent audits. She has been an active member of EASFAA, and the DE-DC-MD Association of Student Aid Administrators’ Maryland and Federal Relations Committees. Gloria has also been an active member of NASFAA for the past 16 years and served on the Compliance Engine Task Force. Gloria also served on numerous university, department, and division committees.
- November 1, 2019 - After 30 years of working in financial aid, Judy Cramer, director of financial aid at Salem State University has retired. Having also worked at Purdue University Fort Wayne, University of Louisiana at Monroe, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Broward Community College, University of Massachusetts Boston, and University of Nevada Las Vegas, she is excited to return to Virginia and be near her granddaughters, to volunteer in her community to help kids go to college, looks forward to being a NASFAA Retiree, and staying in touch with the many friends she has have made on her fulfilling and rewarding career path.
- August 31, 2019 - After more than 35 years as director, David Krause has retired from St. Mary's University and looks forward to his new roles as Santa Claus and grandpa at the North Pole of South Texas.
- July 1, 2019 - Dr. Robert Parisi, dean of student services at Allan Hancock College, retired after 36 years professional years in financial aid. He started as a financial aid student intern at California State University-Sacramento and was actively involved with many California financial aid associations and the NASFAA Research Committee.
"Movers and Shakers" form | 2018-19 Movers & Shakers