State & Regional College Tuition Discounts
Many states have programs that allow residents to attend university in another state, without having to pay out-of-state tuition. Check with your state, or with universities
that you're interested in, about available tuition exchange or reciprocity programs, and ask about how to sign up. The FAFSA is not required for these programs, generally.
Some larger programs include:
- The Southern Regional Education Board Academic
Common Market provides tuition discounts for more than 1900 academic programs in Alabama,
Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland,
Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas,
Virginia, and West Virginia.
- The Regional Contract Program enables students to pursue a professional health degree
at out-of-state institutions, but pay in-state tuition at public institutions or reduced tuition at private
- Students from Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri,
Nebraska, North Dakota, and Wisconsin may be eligible for tuition
reductions at certain Midwest public and private schools through the Midwest Student Exchange.
- The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education offers
the Western Undergraduate Exchange for
students in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho,
Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah,
Washington, and Wyoming.
- The Western Regional Graduate Program enables residents to enroll in available graduate programs outside of their home state at resident tuition rates.
- The Professional Student Exchange Program enables students majoring in the health care professions to enroll in selected out-of-state professional programs.
- The New England Regional Student Program enables New England residents to enroll at out-of-state New England public colleges and universities at a discount. Students are eligible when they enroll in an approved major that is not offered by the public colleges and universities in their home-state. More than 700 undergraduate and graduate degree programs are offered. Participating states are Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.