NASFAA’s Diversity Leadership Program (DLP) provides selectees from a wide range of diverse backgrounds with a robust portfolio of benefits, mentorship, and guidance on how to develop as a financial aid association leader at the state, regional, and national level. Applications are reviewed annually and six institutional members of NASFAA, one from each region, are selected by a group of their colleagues.
The program, unveiled in 2018, was developed through extensive conversations with NASFAA’s Diversity Officer, the NASFAA Board of Directors, and regional association leaders.
Meet the 2018-19 DLP Class
The Diversity Leadership Program aligns with NASFAA’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and seeks to:
- advance the careers of program participants and provide them with important professional development;
- help NASFAA and the six regional associations develop a “deep bench” of talented, motivated leaders from diverse backgrounds; and
- provide individuals from identified under-represented groups in the association community (i.e., people of color, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender people, people with disabilities) with support, access, and opportunities for leadership.
If accepted, DLP participants would receive the following benefits:
- Complimentary registration to the NASFAA Annual Conference and a stipend to be used on hotel, meals, travel (included is an invitation to come early and observe at the NASFAA Summer Board Meeting);
- Complimentary registration to the NASFAA Leadership Conference and a stipend to be used on hotel, meals, travel (included is a crash-course in legislative advocacy, via the Hill Visits program);
- A voucher for one free online NASFAA U course, plus the associated credential test, to be used within the 12-month period;
- Assigned a mentor who has previously served on NASFAA’s Board of Directors; this will involve regular mentorship calls; and
- Hold a place on one task force for each participant within the July 1 to June 30 year of service, to ensure volunteer experience.
- One program participant per region will be selected each program year, for a total of six selectees annually.
- Applications will be reviewed annually during the selection period, typically September
- All elections will be made by a Selection Committee, chaired by NASFAA’s Diversity Officer, with members appointed on an annual basis by the National Chair and Diversity Officer
To be considered for the DLP, a candidate must:
- Be employed by a current NASFAA institutional member.
- Be a member of a racial or ethnic minority group, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender, or a person with a disability;
- Have been working in financial aid for a minimum of three years (no maximum);
- Be currently employed at a college or university, with preference given to those in positions with supervisory or program managerial oversight;
- Have demonstrated professional or civic/community leadership experience;
- Be committed to fully engage in all DLP scholarship benefits as outlined above;
- Secure in writing supervisor/institutional support for the individual’s participation and time away from the office to participate in DLP.
Meet the 2018-19 DLP Class