NASFAA members are always moving ahead, whether enhancing their skills in their current roles, accepting promotions or job changes, or discovering new pathways as retirees. Below are a few colleagues who were honored with awards or recognitions, or made changes in their professional lives, in 2021-22.
Let NASFAA and your colleagues know about your career developments by completing the "Movers and Shakers" form. We'll review your submission and then post your update below for all to see.
"Movers and Shakers" form
Job Changes & Promotions
- *NEW* October 1, 2021 - Timothy Sampson was promoted from senior financial aid technician to assistant director of financial aid production at Fayetteville Technical Community College.
- *NEW* September 1, 2021 - Maria Shaulis, formerly the senior consultant at Financial Aid Services, Inc., is now the associate vice president of student financial systems at Briar Cliff University.
- September 1, 2021 - Lori Lewis, FAAC®, formerly the director of financial aid at Warren Wilson College, is now the senior associate director of operations at Duke University.
- August 25, 2021 - Steven Foster, formerly the senior associate director at Western Michigan University, is now the director of financial aid at Kettering University.
- August 23, 2021 - Sara Donnelly was promoted from assistant director (interim director) to director of financial aid at Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine.
- August 10, 2021 - Kim Lamborn, FAAC®, formerly the director of financial aid at University of Western States, is now the assistant vice president of enrollment management & director of financial aid at University of Health Sciences and Pharmacy.
- August 9, 2021 - Daniel Carlos was promoted from senior financial aid counselor to associate director at University of Idaho.
- August 3, 2021 - Debbie O'Dea, previously the financial aid advisor at Oregon State University, is now the assistant director for compliance and operations at Portland State University.
- August 2, 2021 - Melissa Allen, formerly the director of financial aid at Hartwick College, is now the director of financial aid at SUNY Oneonta.
- July 1, 2021 - Celena Tulloss, FAAC®, was promoted from deputy director to director of the office of financial aid and scholarships at University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- July 1, 2021 - Sandra Jones was promoted from associate director to director of financial aid at McLennan Community College.
- July 1, 2021 - Christian Zimmermann was promoted from director of financial assistance to associate dean of financial assistance and retention at College of Southern Maryland.
- August 4, 2021 - Keri Gilbert, formerly the senior associate director at Missouri College Access Network, is now the director of financial aid at Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri.
- August 2, 2021 - Tiffany Mendez, formerly the director of financial aid at Occidental College, is now the director of financial aid at Pomona College.
- August 2, 2021 - Lydia Cowher was promoted from financial aid assistant to financial aid manager at Penn State College of Medicine. She notes that she is happy to have been chosen to provide exceptional service to her students and is looking forward to meeting new people and connecting with colleagues around the country.
- July 30, 2021 - Abril Hunt, formerly the director of financial aid at Pacific Northwest College of Art (PNCA) — who facilitated completion of PNCA's merger with Willamette University — relocated to Hawaii and is now the financial aid specialist, assisting with the financial aid centralization project at University of Hawai'i Community Colleges.
- July 19, 2021 - Glendi Gaddis, FAAC®, formerly the student services manager at Portland State University, is now the interim associate dean of financial aid at Clark College.
- July 7, 2021 - Dr. Tom Stuart, FAAC®, formerly the director of financial aid at Grantham University, is now the assistant vice president of student financial services and director of financial Aid at William Jewell College.
- July 1, 2021 - Leslie Hammes, FAAC®, formerly the associate director of student financial aid services at University of Idaho, is now the director of financial aid and student financial services at Central Washington University.
- July 1, 2021 - Vanessa Thompson, formerly the financial aid advisor, was promoted to director of financial aid at Washington Adventist University.
- December 31, 2021 - Kathleen Gentile, senior associate dean of financial aid at Amherst College, will retire in December after 43 years of working in financial aid.
- October 31, 2021 - Kathryn Blaisdell, director of student financial services at Mount Holyoke College, will retire in October after 23 years of working in financial aid.
- September 3, 2021 - Wendell Schick, director of financial aid at the University of Northwestern Ohio (UNOH), will retire in September. Wendell has spent 38 years of his life working in the financial aid arena, 18 of which spent at UNOH. Since 1985, he has been involved with the Ohio Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (OASFAA), during which time he served in multiple committee positions and was elected president for the 2003-2004 year. Wendell also served as the Ohio State association president of the Midwest Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (MASFAA) and has volunteered his time and been appointed to various positions within the following organizations: Student Access and Success Coordinating Council of Ohio, Student Portal Web Development Committee of Ohio, Ohio Board of Regents Advisory Group, Great Lakes Higher Education Advisory Group, Ohio Student Loan Commission Advisory Council, Regional Chair of the Ohio Student Aid Commission, Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges Advisory Group, National Advisory Board of the Sallie Mae Loan Program, National Advisory Group of the Law Access Loan Program, the College Board, and the Lima Access Group. Prior to his time at UNOH, he worked in financial aid at Ohio Northern University for 20 years. Wendell has made an impact on the financial aid operations of UNOH that will last for many years to come, and his staff notes that they "could never thank him enough for his service to the University." Following his retirement, he is looking forward to spending more time with his wife Diane and extended family.
- September 1, 2021 - Caesar Storlazzi, university director of financial aid at Yale University has retired after 43 years of working in financial aid.
- August 31, 2021 - Joan Zanders, director of financial aid at Northern Virginia Community College, retired in August after 34 years in higher education.
- August 2, 2021 - Deb Coleman, system analyst supervisor at University of Michigan - Dearborn, retired in August after 36 years of working in financial aid.
- July 29, 2021 - Lisanne Masterson, director of financial aid at Blue Ridge Community College in North Carolina retired in July after 38 years in financial aid. Lisanne notes: "It has been my pleasure to work at two wonderful institutions, but the colleagues in my state, in my region and across the country that I have met along my FA journey have truly enriched my life as well as contributed to my lasting in this career for so long. Thanks to all ... I will miss the camaraderie and lively discussions!"
"Movers and Shakers" form | 2020-21 Movers & Shakers