NASFAA members are always moving ahead, whether enhancing their skills in their current roles, accepting promotions or job changes, or discovering new pathways as retirees. Below are a few colleagues who made changes in their professional lives in 2020-21.
Have you changed jobs recently? Are you newly retired? Have you won an award, or started a new initiative on campus? Let NASFAA and your colleagues know about your career developments in 2020-21 by completing the "Movers and Shakers" form. We'll review your submission and then post your update below for all to see.
"Movers and Shakers" form
Awards, Recognitions, & Other
The NASFAA Awards Nomination process is now open for member nominations until February 15, 2021. Winners will be announced this summer at the NASFAA National Conference.
- December 14, 2020 - Dr. Keyimani Alford, dean of student access and success at Madison Area Technical College, and Wisconsin Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (WASFAA) president, was named one of "Wisconsin's 51 Most Influential Black Leaders."
- July 23, 2020 - Citizens Bank would like to congratulate Donna Shelby, vice president and relationship manager, on 25 years in student lending.
- July 16, 2020 - Josephine Cassar, director of financial assistance and services at St. Clair County Community College, received the "Henry Dykema Distinguished Service Award." This annual award, MSFAA's highest award bestowed on an individual, is given as recognition to individuals who have provided significant and outstanding service, over an extended period of time (at least five years), to the profession and the association.
Job Changes & Promotions
- *NEW* January 13, 2021 - Mark Bandre, formerly the registrar and director of financial aid, was promoted to dean of academic innovation and college registrar at Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kansas.
- *NEW* January 7, 2021 - Adam Colvin, formerly the financial aid funds manager at Greenville University, is now the director of financial aid at Ponce Health Sciences University.
- *NEW* January 4, 2021 - Brian De Young, formerly the director of financial aid at Guilford College, is now the director of financial aid at Davidson-Davie Community College.
- *NEW* January 4, 2021 - Timothy Sampson, formerly the Office of Financial Aid student services specialist at University of North Carolina at Pembroke, is now the senior financial aid technician at Fayetteville Technical Community College.
- *NEW* January 4, 2021 - Kimberly Tibbetts, formerly the associate director of financial aid at Wentworth Institute of Technology, is now the director of financial aid at Middlesex Community College.
- *NEW* January 1, 2021 - James Kellam, formerly the director of financial planning, was promoted to associate vice president for student financial services at Converse College.
- December 7, 2020 - Valerie Clem-Brown, formerly the associate director for compliance and reporting at Virginia Commonwealth University, is now the director of financial aid at William Peace University. She also earned her Ph.D. from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln in Educational Leadership and Higher Education on November 20.
- December 1, 2020 - Katraya Williams, formerly the director of financial aid & scholarships at Southern University at Shreveport, is now the director of student financial aid at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-Shreveport.
- November 30, 2020 - Kristi Jovell, FAAC®, formerly the assistant vice president of enrollment management at Champlain College, is now the director of student financial services operations and communications at Middlebury College.
- November 9, 2020 - Christina Twelves, formerly the director of financial aid at Touro University Nevada, is now the director of financial aid at Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine (proposed).
- November 2, 2020 - Amanda Constable is now the director of financial assistance at Villanova University.
- November 2, 2020 - Nishia Ikezoe Heard, formerly the manager of student finance advising at Adtalem Global Education, is now the senior director of student financial assistance, veteran services and scholarships at College of DuPage.
- *NEW* October 30, 2020 - Lindsay Bridgeman, FAAC®, formerly the vice president of student financial services and university compliance, was promoted to interim president at Grantham University
- October 26, 2020 - Keia Brown, formerly the associate director
of scholarships at University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC), is now the
director of financial aid at Marymount University. Keia is also the 2020-21 chair
of the Delaware, D.C., Maryland Association of Financial Aid Administrators Association (Tri-State ASFAA).
- October 26, 2020 - Gregory Thornburg, formerly the student
affairs administrator at University of Arkansas Community College Batesville
(Arkansas) is now the senior assistant director of financial aid and scholarships
at Ball State University.
- October 16, 2020 - Alisha Cederberg, FAAC®, was promoted from director of financial aid to associate dean of student experience at Kalamazoo Valley Community College.
- October 1, 2020 - Jennifer Christian Wright, previously the associate dean of financial aid, was promoted to associate director of financial aid systems at Amherst College.
- August 24, 2020 - Pamela Palermo, formerly the director of student financial services at Marshall University, is now the director of financial aid at Hawaii Pacific University.
- August 3, 2020 - Marvin Smith, FAAC®, formerly executive director, student financial services at Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis, will be the executive director for the University of California, Los Angeles Financial Aid and Scholarships
- July 27, 2020 - Jesse McMillan, formerly the assistant director of financial aid at Capital University, will be the associate director of the student financial management center at Virginia Commonwealth University.
- July 21, 2020 - Helen Faith, FAAC®, formerly the dean of new student transitions at Lane Community College, is now the director of the Office of Student Financial Aid at University of Wisconsin–Madison. Helen has served on NASFAA's Board of Directors and was the president of WASFAA.
- July 20, 2020 - Erika Kampschnieder, formerly the financial aid specialist at Mid-Plains Community College, is now the associate director of financial aid systems and processing at Metropolitan Community College.
- July 13, 2020 - Patrick Ziegler, formerly from Wells Fargo, is now the regional sales director at Ascendium. Patrick brings diverse experience in both academia and higher education finance to his role with Ascendium.
- July 1, 2020 - Lisa Blazer, previously the senior associate vice provost at the University of Texas - San Antonio, is now the associate vice president for enrollment services at Texas A&M University. Lisa served as the 2016-17 NASFAA National Chair.
- March 1, 2021 - Tracy Reisinger, director of financial Aid at Oregon College of Oriental Medicine, will retire in the spring after 32 years of working in financial aid. Tracy previously worked at Marylhurst University and University of Portland, and notes "it's time to pass the baton and ride off into the sunset to have fun and travel. Financial aid is such a wonderful, caring, inclusive, welcoming, and helpful group of colleagues. While I won't miss the constantly changing regulations, I will miss the great people I've come to know over the years. Thanks to everybody who provided so much support to me and to our wonderful students."
- December 23, 2020 - Sharon Kienow, FAAC®, director of financial aid at Northern State University, will retire at the end of December.
- December 18, 2020 - Jayne Dinse, director of admissions and financial aid at South Central College, announced her retirement after 32 years in the profession and 38 years in higher education. She began her career at the University of Minnesota and has spent the last 27 years at her present college. Jayne served, in 2002-2003, as the state president of the Minnesota Association of Financial Aid Administrators (MAFAA) and was involved in various roles within her regional association, MASFAA.
- December 17, 2020 - Connie Roubique, financial director at ITI Technical College, is retiring from the financial aid world after 40 years of dedicated service — 30 of which were spent at ITI. She served as a member of the Louisiana Financial Assistance Commission and the Louisiana Association of State Financial Aid Association, and has been recognized for multiple services as a member of the LSFAC Advisory Committee. Her staff wishes her all the best in her retirement and notes they will continue to strive to maintain the precedent she has set for them as her legacy.
- October 2, 2020 - G. Michael Johnson, FAAC®, director of financial aid at Columbia Gorge Community College, has announced his retirement after 33 years in financial aid. He notes that after starting as a part-time need analysis technician when he was in graduate school, his career included working at four-year private, four-year public, and two-year public schools in Oregon and Washington. He also spent a little time working for a student loan guarantee agency. He's been active in state, regional, and national association leadership and training, making a lot of lifelong friends along the way — an "immensely rewarding experience" for which he says he is grateful.
- July 10, 2020 - David Gelinas, director of financial aid at Davidson College, retired after 40 years in financial aid.
- July 1, 2020 - Ron Day, director of student financial aid at Kennesaw State University retired after 30 years in financial aid. Ron served as the 2012-13 NASFAA National Chair and was a NASFAA 2020 Lifetime Achievement Award winner.
- July 1, 2020 - Dennis P. Levy, Ph.D., executive director of financial aid services at Moravian College, retired after 32 years in financial aid, over 45 years total in higher education and public service. He looks forward to shared new adventures with Nancy, his beautiful wife of 46 years, and endless celebrations with grandchildren, family, friends, and good wine.
"Movers and Shakers" form | 2019-20 Movers & Shakers