Pop Quiz – What Documentation Is Needed to Award Graduate Level Aid to a Student in a Joint Undergraduate/Graduate Program?


School A offers a joint undergraduate/professional degree program, with the undergraduate portion being offered at School B. Since School A does not grant the undergraduate degree, can School A collect other documentation from School B to show the student transitioned grade levels to receive graduate level aid?


Yes.  A graduate or professional student, by definition in 34 CFR 668.2(b), is one who

“(1) Is not receiving Title IV aid as an undergraduate student for the same period of enrollment;

(2) Is enrolled in a program or course above the baccalaureate level or is enrolled in a program leading to a professional degree; and

(3) Has completed the equivalent of at least three years of full-time study either prior to entrance into the program or as part of the program itself."

Based on the information provided, if the school can document the student's successful completion of at least the equivalent of three years of undergraduate coursework, using a transcript for example, the student could receive graduate level aid upon completion of at least three years of full-time study. 

If there are questions of program eligibility, schools are always encouraged to confer with a Department of Education (ED) School Participation Division representative with additional questions or to obtain official ED policy guidance.

Test your financial aid knowledge with past pop quizzes based on real scenarios from financial aid offices on our Pop Quizzes page.


Publication Date: 12/20/2019

View Desktop Version