Pop Quiz - Is a Student Who Had a Special Immigration Visa and Will Receive a Permanent Resident Card Eligible for Title IV Aid?


A school has a student who entered the country under a Special Immigration Visa. Special Immigration Visa status is not listed in the approved eligible noncitizen visas for Title IV aid. However, the Department of State website indicates that legal permanent residency status is granted to these individuals upon admission to the US. The school wants to confirm that as long as these students have documentation to show their permanent residency status, will these students be eligible for Title IV aid?


In general, any student who is a legal permanent resident may receive Title IV aid. Absent guidance from the U.S. Department of Education to the contrary, students who have a Permanent Resident card are eligible noncitizens. The student’s permanent resident card would be sufficient documentation to verify their eligibility.

You can find more information about Student Eligibility in the Student Aid Reference Desk.


Publication Date: 2/17/2022

You must be logged in to comment on this page.

Comments Disclaimer: NASFAA welcomes and encourages readers to comment and engage in respectful conversation about the content posted here. We value thoughtful, polite, and concise comments that reflect a variety of views. Comments are not moderated by NASFAA but are reviewed periodically by staff. Users should not expect real-time responses from NASFAA. To learn more, please view NASFAA’s complete Comments Policy.

Related Content

Annual Business Meeting & Policy Update: Spring 2024: Annual Business Meeting & Policy Update: Spring 2024


Policy Update & Final FAFSA Countdown : Policy Update & Final FAFSA Countdown


View Desktop Version